Sunday, September 14, 2008

Utah State Fair and My Next 10k!!!

This weekend was lots of fun. On Friday night we went to the fair with our friends' the Watts. Lyd's had to get dressed for the part. I tried to do her hair in braids for the first time and she LOVES wearing her cowboy hat that her Great Aunt Susan got for her!
There's a food booth that serves everything deep fried so Jake and I thought we'd try the deep fried PB&J. Gross, I know, but it just tasted like a PB&J filled doughnut...nothing special. Jake liked it though. But they did have fried snickers, oreos and twinkies. I didn't get to try any but there's always next year. That's good for the ol' cholesterol isn't it?
They had some cute activities for the kids...us adults were bored to death but the girls seemed to be entertained.
Jake and Joey took the girls' down the big yellow slide.
Then on Saturday I ran my second 10k and did pretty well. It was "The Classic 10K" in Layton. Jake and I were supposed to run it together but he dogged out on me at the last minute claiming his knee hurt from all the running he did last week...whatever! But my friend Melynda came to the rescue and ran in Jake's place and she did great job, and she didn't even do any training!
Jake and Lyd's met me about halfway through the race to cheer me on.
The lady in front of me was my target. From the start of the race we kept going back and forth passing each other. Then toward the end I kicked it into high gear and smoked her!
Here we are crossing the finish line!
My 10K (6.2 miles) stats:
Time: 55 minutes even
Pace: 8.51 minute miles
38th place out of 107 females
14th place out of 31 for my age group (20-29)
99th place overall out of 193 people
So I was pretty much right in the middle of everyone. Someday I hope to be in the top 10 of one of these categories. I love running in these races, although I get so nervous before the race starts but once I finish, I can't wait to do another one. I guess you could say I've caught the running bug. I ran 3 this year and plan on running a lot more next year!
Here we are at the finish! Thanks Mel for doing it with me...you're the best! What a friend!

9 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

Besides the poor girl getting kicked by a cow - it was a lot of fun!

Way to go on the run! That is awesome! You rock!

Sammy Boy said...

Good job on the run! That is such a great accomplishment.
I think I have caught the running bug also but I haven't entered any races yet. You and Heidi have inspired me.
Sam keeps saying we should enter a race together but I think we would have the same outcome you and Jake had, he would ditch out the day before the race.

Heather Jones said...

You are so awesome I wish I could do those races!! It kills my back to run. I love Lydia in her hat and braids so cute. So our hubby's are taking a road trip huh, tell Jake thanks for making Todd leave me with all the kids hehe. I think when football is over us girls get to do something big and they get the kids!!

Rivers and Monica said...

So I have finally been doing some catching up on peoples blogs. Lydia is so darn cute. I love the dancing video of her, she will definitely need to be in dance. It was fun to see you guys last night for a few minutes. I am planning on going to the hospital tomorrow for a couple of hours. Anyway, I hope you guys have a good time in Kansas.

TeamTyson said...

YOU ROCK!!!! I am proud of your time. That is a great time, you would totally kick my butt right now. I have got to sign up for another race because I am turning into a huge slacker...your post has motivated me to pick up the pace and get going!

Nathan and Dianna Wiley said...

Like I said, I am inspired!! You are amazing. Hope you are having fun in Kansas!

Emilee said...

Good job on your 10k and tell Jake to get his butt in gear. We miss seeing you guys. It seems like forever. Thankfully I am finally home. Thanks so much for all that you guys did for us while I was in the hospital. We love you guys. Please keep me updated on how your dad is doing.

Deborah said...

You are my hero Erin. I am so glad you did so well on your 10k, what an inspiration to me. Thanks for the chat and encouragement. It was great to see you and keep it up.
Debbie

Mike, Jules, Gabee and Izee said...

WAIT A GO ERIN!!! You are so awesome... I am being totally inspired by you... I mean, seriously, in my next life, I am going to run a 10k (smile)

Where were you on Sunday?? Did you come up and sing with the choir?? And I just didn't see you?? That would be embarassing...

I used to run, and you are seriously inspiring me to start again.... Excellent pics. You are such a hottie!!