Sunday, September 07, 2008

Family, Friends and Fasting...

On Saturday, they were having a health fair up at the University and the Pehrson's invited us to go. There were so many booths I couldn't believe it. They had free everything...free books, hot dogs, cotton candy, icees, face painting, balloons, you could pet the dogs that are trained to help people...basically everything that Lydia loves. Curious George was even there with the man in the yellow hat (who was very freaky weird if you ask me).
Cambree and Lyd's had a fun time (we missed you Em).





That night when Jake left me for the 2nd Utah game of the season, the Watts' invited the Jones' and myself to hang out while the boys watched the game. Something happened to Comcast as the 2nd half of the game was starting so the party continued at my house. Props to Directv and the Mountain network. Props also to Jake who recorded the game, due to his obession with watching the games over and over and over again within hours of watching it live, we were able to rewind what we missed :) Love you honey!

------------------------------------------

Lastly, I thought I'd journal a spiritual experience I had this weekend because it is one that I don't ever want to forget. I had the opportunity to do a 24 hour fast yesterday, which I haven't done for VERY long time. I was fasting for a few reasons and two of those were for two very special people to me who are going through some very trying health issues right now. While partaking of the sacrament today, I felt the spirit so strong I just started to cry. I cried out of sadness for my father and dear friend, and I also cried because I felt comforted by that Holy Spirit that I'm so blessed to have in my life.

We sang the song "How Great the Wisdom and the Love" and some of the words were so comforting to me...

"In memory of the broken flesh, We eat the broken bread, And witness with the cup, afreash, Our faith in Christ, our Head."

"How great the wisdom and the love, That filled the courts on high, And sent the Savior from above, To suffer, bleed and die."

Imagining all that Christ went through, taking on ALL the sins of the world, is nothing compared to the trials that the people in this world face individually so I know I must remain strong and be a comfort to those who need me most!

"Thy will, O God, not mine be done..."

All we need is faith and trust in the Lord and know that we should feel comfort in knowing that God has a plan for each of us and if we just give our will to the Lord, all will be ok, even if it's not what we want. How grateful I am for the atonement and the knowledge I have that we can all be perfect beings in the next life, eternally with our families. I'm saddened because of what my father and Emilee are going through, but I must remember that we all go through things for a reason and it's the Lord's will, not mine that will be done.

Jake and I had the opportunity to hear a wonderful baby blessing today, Jake's nephew Simon. It was fast and testimony meeting and I felt like everything everyone was saying was directed toward me, as if the Lord knew I needed to be comforted with those words right at that moment. How blessed I am to have the spirit with me that I may feel its solace. I am truley a blessed individual and I hope I always remember this experience and always humble myself before the Lord and know that He has a plan for each of us and that His will will be done.

6 comments:

Clark Family said...

Erin you are amazing! Thank you for sharing your feelings. I really feel inspired by what you said and I appreciate it more than you know. I am so glad you are a part of our family. You add so much to the Johnsen Clan!!

TeamTyson said...

I love that you shared that. It seems like you have your priorities all in check...The Savior, Family, and Friends. Thanks for the inspiring words, I hope that your father, and friend receive the comfort they need.

Veronica said...

The health fair looks fun! Thanks for sharing your fasting experience. I needed to hear that!! BTW, I have been reading blogs through google reader and since it doesn't let you comment that way...and since I'm far too lazy to log in to blogger, I'm not commenting much at all lately. But I love reading your blog so keep it up!!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Erin so the fasting paid off :) even with our tempting you - you can call me the devil :)

Love you. So glad that you shared your amazing testimony and I am so sorry for what is happening to your dad & friend- not fun at all, but glad that you have faith and put your trust with the lord! You are such an awesome example to me.

Thanks for letting us crash your pad on Saturday _ I thought I was going to witness two grown men cry!

Emilee said...

Thank you for sharing your testimony. I truly felt the spirit reading it. I hope you and Jake know how much we love you guys and how grateful we are for your friendship. I am so thankful that you guys fasted on my behalf. I know that things have turned around because of it. I missed you guys a ton on Saturday but am so glad that Ben and Cambree were able to come. It looks like I will be here until at least Wed. or Thurs. maybe longer. Thanks again for all you do for us!

Mike, Jules, Gabee and Izee said...

Erin, truly we should be friends... We need to hang out.. You are incredible.. I am inspried not to cheat on the next sabbath (smile)...