Thursday, September 25, 2008

Trip to Kansas!!!

We made it out to Kansas for the second time this summer and once again, we had a lot of fun. We flew in last Wednesday, September 17th about 8pm so we went and grabbed some dinner right when we landed. On the way there, Lyd's and Grandma became instant friends laughing and smiling at eachother. They were actually being kind of weird...it was like they already had their little inside jokes. It was really cute!
On Thursday Lydia played at the park with her cousin Levi. They had so much fun and I loved that Levi's hair was sticking straight up in the air every time he went down the slide!
Sitting in her little school chair was Lydia's favorite place to be while she read books.
On Saturday we headed to one of my favorite places,
"The Renaissance Festival
of Kansas City".
We used to go there every year when I was little so it was nice to go back with Lydia. My brother and his family came along too, and Grandma of course! I forgot how cool it was. Everyone there dresses up just like the renaissance times back in the 14th to 17th centuries. And they all talk to you and make you do weird things. So you never know what's going to happen...you always have to have your gaurd up. It's so much fun.
Here's David eating a turkey leg while listening to renaissance music in "surround sound" which consists of them standing out in the audience with their different instruments. Clever huh? They all say really funny things. It reminds me of Robinhood: Men in Tights...it takes place back in the day but they say really funny, modern things.
They had elephant and camel rides, but no way am I putting my child on an unpredictable, 12,000 pound animal that's been forced to walk in a tiny circle all day with a bunch of people on it's back...poor thing! Do they really only have one thin rope keeping it in if it decided to go crazy on us? Yes!
They had jousting matches and it was pretty entertaining...just as I recalled, just not as realistic as I remember! When I was little I thought it was real, so some of the magic was gone for me!
They had a petting zoo and let me tell you, Lydia has no fear. She tried to kiss every animal in there, but I always stopped her before she made it all the way!

We had lots of fun. I bought Lydia this cute renaissance hat. When I was little my mom used to always buy me pretty hats and my brother swords and shields. So I had to carry on the tradition. This will make a good halloween costume some year!
Here's a quick video of a parade they did. They walk throughout the whole festival grounds yelling and playing music. Look at some of these very strange people. I love it!
Then on Sunday my brother was able to bless their new baby boy Cabot (the whole reason for this trip to Kansas was to meet him). It was a wonderful blessing but Levi didn't want to cooperate with the picture taking!


I can't believe the trip is already halfway over!

1 comment:

Joey and Nettifer said...

That festival looks amazing. I love stuff like that. I love seeing all the weird strange people who get so into it and I love all the fun things to look at! Way fun and Love Lyd's hat - adorable and her piggy tails she is sporty are adorable!~

SO far this trip looks fun!