Sunday, June 07, 2009

Singing Opportunity!!!!

About a week ago I got an email from my church choir director saying that our region has been given an amazing opportunity. We have been asked by the Quorum of the Seventy to provide singers for a Choir that will sing at the Sunrise Service in the Tabernacle on the 24th of July before the parade. The email also said that they were only choosing, 9 alto's from our stake for this performance so I emailed back and eventually got the call that I was chosen to be one of the 9 alto's. AHHHHH! They thought it would be too difficult to hold auditions so they just went off of recommendations and apparently I was highly recommended!! WooHoo!

Many people may not know that I LOVE to sing; it's definitely one of my passions in life. I'm just a shy one who doesn't do much in public, but thanks to Jake's family I've come out of my shell a bit. I've performed solo's at a couple baptisms and sang at our family Christmas parties...you know, the basic stuff.

But here's the story about our July 24th performance...about 6 years ago, President Hinckley felt that we were not celebrating the pioneers enough on the 24th so he started this Sunrise Service. This choir will be led by Michael Huff, who is a Music Professor at the U, the Musical Director of the Salt Lake Symphonic Choir and has many other credits to his name.There is always a General Authority speaker and this year it is Elder Jay Jensen of the Seventy. The music is a special tribute to Crawford Gates, one of the greatest composers ever. The choir will be learning 6 numbers for the performance and it is going to be amazing.

ME...LITTLE 'OL ME!

I get to sing in the Tabernacle. The place where MOTAB performs. I can't believe it. I am so excited I can't even stand it. You know I'm a singing nerd when I go on and on about this, but what an honor to perform at an event that President Hinckley considered so important. I can't wait to feel the spirit in that room that morning. It's going to be incredible and I get to be a part of it! They told me that the songs are so amamzing that there won't be a dry eye in the place (and apparently it's a pretty hot ticket to get). I'm nervous and excited and can't wait to soak this experience in :)

7 comments:

Veronica said...

That is awesome! I'm jealous. We'll be in Texas for the practices so I couldn't even put my name in the pot. You'll have such a great time!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Check you out.I am so excited for you! I hope we can come and see you perform!

Ben and Ash said...

What a great experience. I love Pioneer Day! Congrats on a great opportunity...once in a lifetime!

Margo said...

Wow good for you I am so excited. You are such a wonderful woman who has so much to offer. Way to go girl.

Nicole said...

Cool! Way cool! I wish I had a good voice so I could do stuff like that! I am so excited FOR you. Do you have to get tickets for it? Will it be recorded and televised? It seems like President Hinckley started a lot of neat things like that. Crawford Gates is actually in my parents ward, he is really AMAZING!BTW, I like your new deck, its beautiful.

TeamTyson said...

I CAN'T believe I sang in front of you! You never mentioned that you are a pro?! Well I guess we know who will be singing if we ever get together for Rockband! Congrats on the invitation to sing, it sounds like it will be an amazing experience.

Sammy Boy said...

What an amazing opportunity! Definitely a once in a lifetime experience. Good luck!
Tell Jake that Sam and I are impressed by the deck. The Ute logo is awesome. We will have to see it in person sometime soon.