Summers are the best and I usually love every weekend because there are just so many fun things to do. Well, on Friday I got to meet one of the Utah Jazz basketball players. Our friends' Melynda and Adam's next door neighbor won a contest where he got a brand new sport court put in his backyard and he got to play b-ball with Matt Harpring. I know, someone in my own neighborhood won! Crazy right?!
Here's the man himself...
Then on Friday evening we headed down to Sanpete county to have a sleepover with our buds Ben and Emilee so Jake and I could run our very first 10k (6.4 miles) on Saturday morning.Every time we go down to visit our friends' Jake always has to ride their scooter, and of course he had to take me for a spin. My hubby sure knows how to treat his lady right? A night on the town on a sweet, silver scooter :)
On Saturday, we woke up bright and early to get ready for our very first 10k, "The Skyline 10K @ 10K". And man, we were not prepared AT ALL for what was about to happen to us. First of all, Jake and I only trained for 2 weeks (6.4 miles shouldn't be that hard right?). Secondly, we NEVER trained going up hills. Well, little did we know that the first 2 miles of the race were STRAIGHT UPHILL. So here's how the race went:
Jake and I had to drive to the starting point of the race (isn't it gorgeous?) and that meant driving straight up into the mountains for 8 miles!!! The race started at 9300 feet and 2 miles into the race, you hit the summit of 10,000 feet above sea level. Ok, if any of you are runners, you know that it is one of the hardest things to do, running straight uphill to 10,000 feet; their is just NO air up their. I guess the title of the race
didn't give it away that we were going uphill :) And it wasn't a wussy hill either. It was STRAIGHT uphill with no breaks whatsoever.
But let me tell you, that was the most beautiful run I have ever done. The scenery was breathtaking. All of the lakes and mountains were gorgeous.
Here's Jake and I at the start of the race.
It's a small race: their were only 84 people and I came in 66th place overall, and 6th in my age group (out of 9). I was only 6 minutes late on winning a 3rd place metal. Next year, I'm there, after more training.
At the start of the race going uphill for 2 miles I averaged a 12 minute mile. But once I hit the summit and started down the hill, there was not stopping me, it was like I was running a whole new race.
My best mile was 8 1/2 minutes and my other 3 1/2 miles were an average of 9 to 10 minute miles. I've never run down hill either. I tell you, Jake and I had no idea what we had gotten into and didn't realize the training that was necessary to do well in this particular race. I think Jake chose the hardest 10k in the state of Utah to run. The most we had ever run was 4 miles on a flat surface and that was only 2 days before. But this experience only gives me motivation to kick butt in it next year. This has now become our tradition...running the Sanpete county Skyline 10K @ 10K.
Thanks Ben and Emilee for letting us crash at your house and for taking care of Lydia while we ran. You're the best!
That afternoon, after some much needed body rest, we took Cambree and Lydia to the park, ate dinner and headed home.
Next weekend should be a good one too when our little Bones marries his Darcie :)

10 comments:
Oh My Heavens you guys have been busy!!! I saw on Mo Drapers blog about the sports court. I didn't realize it was someone in this neighborhood.. That is CRAZY!!! how incredible... We need a neighborhood party over at their house!!
Lydia is absolute stunning, Erin. How old is she? We should get our little ones together and let them play!!
Way to go on the run! Holy Cow! I would have puked for sure! I just read Jake's blog and couldn't quit laughing!
Glad you guys had a fun time! Awesome that you have signed up for another!
I am so jealous that you got to hang with Matt Harpring! He is the only Jazz player that I have not met, and I really want to.
Good job on the 10K, that sounds hard! It is crappy to start out up hill, I would rather have the hill in the middle of the race so that you are warmed up. You did awesome! How did you know your pace on every mile? Do you have one of those FREAKIN SWEET Garmin GPS watches? I haven't signed up for any other races...I am still too tired from the last one ....so you are awesome, way to go!
I've seriously spent about 20minutes reading your hilarious blog posts, and feeling oh so envious of all the fun! We need to do a girls weekend too! And vegas is soo much fun! We need to do a BBQ, or something, because before we know it summer will be gone! I love how funny and witty you are! And soooo dang gorgeous!
Love ya Cuz!
Janke looks like he is the life of the party! My kind of guy! I can not believe you ran a race up hill. You are my hero, even if you did come in 66th! Sadly, I am still in the same flabby shape I was four months ago. I had to delete my weight loss blog because it was depressing me big time just to see it. Don't know why the weight isn't falling off. It is soooooo weird. Despite all I am doing, I am still STUCK at 170! But good for you for being so cute and skinny and in great shape!
We are so glad that you guys came down. We always have the best time when you are here. I am glad we have gotten together so much this past year. We need to keep it up. Thanks for watching Cambree while I had my crazy day. You guys are awesome to even run that race, apparantly the coach of the cross country team of our high school tells them its not for the weak in heart.
way to go!! i am so proud of both of you!!!
ps. do you know how much i LOVE scooters, i am so jealous!
Way to go on the race!! You are a far better woman than me. :)
I remember seeing them advertise that contest. I can't believe someone here won. How fun you guys got to go see it. I can't believe you guys ran that I don't think i could do a mile. I am very impressed. Now even more that Todd is running with Jake he has never gone out running in our eight years. He even went alone last night.
Good luck Larry! (for Monday) Also, Erin, I keep meaning to call you to talk about the change in Larry's hips from not a problem to needing to have an operation. Sherlock's been having problems again and I wanted to know when you noticed the difference with Larry. Sorry about the forever long comment. :)
Post a Comment