Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Cholesterol Test Results

After 20 years of having high cholesterol, you are now officially looking at a woman who's cholesterol number doesn't have a big H next to it (High).  

After reading a very eye opening book called The China Study, I finally took matters into my own hands and did something about my cholesterol.  I have struggled with high cholesterol my whole life, never knowing how to lower it, figuring that I was cursed with bad genes, knowing that one day I would be on medication for this disease!  Wrong!  I was so ignorant but after putting some knowledge in my brain, I realized I was wrong and I could do something about it.
My plan was to be a vegan for six months, then compare my new cholesterol results with my old ones from 2009.  I lasted as a full fledged vegan for four months which was super easy, then I lost steam after our Disneyland trip and became vegan-ish for the last two months (eating vegan during the week but splurging a bit on the weekends with the more unhealthy choices such as cheese, butter, etc)!

On my quest I found some really awesome vegan recipes.  I especially loved my Vegan Pumpkin Muffins (no eggs or butter).  So delicious.
My Results:
2009 Overall Cholesterol: 223H
2011 Overall Cholesterol: 183
40 points.  Are you kidding me?!!!  So awesome.  You have no idea how long and how hard I've tried to lower my cholesterol.  Who would have thought veganism was the answer!

Below 200 is normal and that was my goal in this 6 month trial. YAY!!!!  But my longterm goal is to get to 150 or lower since I am at such a high risk of heart disease (family history, those darn genes).  But I know I can do it!

2009 LDL: 146H
2011 LDL: 112H
I still need to work on this one.  This number is a major risk factor in heart disease.  Below 100 is normal and I've read that it can lower up to 40% after a year of diet and exercise.  Well, it's already lowered 34 points so I have high hopes that it will lower at least 22 points by next year (my goal is below 90).

I'm fighting for myself and I'm fighting for my family!  I want to be around for the next 60 years.  I want to see my children get married.  I want to travel the world with my husband.  My risk of heart attack or stroke were getting higher every year and I'm so thankful that my eyes were opened and I've made this change while I still have the chance for a healthier life!  I love those three so much and I'm so thankful for this chance I've had to change my habits so I can teach them to my children.
It's so ironic to me that heart disease is killing so many people, yet there is prevention and a cure: healthy eating and exercise.  The China Study was such an eye opener to me and I'm so grateful to have read it and realized that I don't need to take a pill to be healthy.  I've read that a lot of cholesterol pills have been taken off of the market due to too many toxic side effects to the body!  Oh, well that sounds like something I want to sign up for!  Not!

I am my own personal study on living a healthier lifestyle by eating a mostly plant based diet and it worked.  I have seen the results and I am a success story. I am living proof that it works. I have lived with this disease for 20 years and guess what?  I kicked its A.  After all of these years of feeling defeated, I finally took action and it worked.  I still have a ways to go, but it's a GREAT start!

Heart disease is the number one killer in the US and I have experienced the cure.  We can all have it if we so desire.  It just takes dedication and hard work; just like any other thing in this world that's worth obtaining.

6 comments:

Emilee said...

Nice job lady! We are so proud of you! Especially after all the crap Ben put you through:). Love ya!

Clark Family said...

Way to go!! That is awesome that you lowered it by 40 points. I can't believe we did not even discuss this topic tonight. What a horrible SIL I am for not even thinking to ask you about it. You need to be around for a long time to keep me company. Keep up the good work!

Debbie Ingles said...

Way to go!!! I am so impressed!

Bel said...

Woohoo! Way to go! I am so glad to see the numbers went down and all that sacrifice was worth it, yay! Congratulations on taking hold of your health and being so pro-active... You are my hero, hehe! Love ya!! Oh and sorry our trip to California throw you off, darn it, we suck.

Joey and Nettifer said...

That is awesome! You are a rock star!

Unknown said...

That's great! I don't have any idea what my cholesterol is, I'm pretty sure I've never had it checked, but with the way I eat, I'm sure it's high! Way to be such a great example!