Thursday, June 02, 2011

Memorial Weekend!

We started our Memorial weekend by heading down to Price to start the process of cleaning out my dads house to get ready for sale.  It's actually really awesome going through all of my dad's things.  I feel like I'm learning more and more about him when I see the things he has and I look at the things that were so important to him that he kept for 20 years.

I found old birthday cards, pictures and letters my brother and I had sent him over 20 years ago.  I love that he kept them.  I found his patriarchal blessing and really enjoyed reading it!  Even though our relationship wasn't a very close one, I know our love for one another was strong and we loved each other very much!  I know that if we would have had more time together, I would have had a very strong relationship but with the time we did have, I am so grateful for!
My dad's headstone was put up so we took some yellow flowers to his grave.  The headstone describes my dad perfectly!  In two words, he was a "Mountain Man" for sure!  He loved the mountains.  I asked him once if there were any place in the world he would want to visit, where would that be. His answer:  "I'm happy in the mountains.  Just give me my camping trailer and my four wheeler and I'll be one happy man!"  So true!  I guess that's where I get my love for camping and enjoying the mountains!

Here's the back of the headstone.  I love it all and I think it's the perfect reminder of the kind of man my father was!
We headed home on Saturday and relaxed for the rest of the weekend.  On Memorial day we decided to stay indoors and change our original plans in case the weather was bad so we went with some friends to Boondocks.  We chose bowling and had so much fun!
 Lydia LOVES bowling and really preps before she rolls the ball.  She moves the contraption around, sits the ball down, takes a step back and pushes with all of her might and the ball goes flying down the lane.  It is so much fun to see her have such a good time!
 I didn't let Nate crawl around too much due to it being too dangerous of a place but when I did, he was loving it!  He now does the squinty smiles where he closes his eyes and scrunches up his nose!  I love it!
 The girls got along so well and had so much fun together!  They did get bored before their game was over though, but fun for Lydia, she won the game!
 Lydia gave 5 to her daddy after each of her bowls!
These two crack me up!  They all supported one another in their bowling successes and I especially loved how Anabel took about 5 pictures before she got this one!  Haha!  Love you Anabel!  At least the kids are trained to stand there until you say they are done!
 After our game of bowling, which Jake won, we played the arcade section!


The guys wanted to take the girls on the go karts and we're so glad they did.  They had so much fun!
After many excuses were made, it was decided that Jake and Lydia got first place!  Man, our husband's are competitive!  It was fun to watch them chase each other around the track and try and pass one another!

Afterward we headed to Iggy's for an early dinner then back to the Watt's house for games!  It was a fun Memorial day!  Thanks for hanging out with us guys!  We had a great time!

3 comments:

Bel said...

Wow I love the head stone! Its so detailed and beautiful. The mountains with the trailer in it is so cool, specially cause now you inherited one of the things that your father cherished the most. Also the fact that all the kids names are on the back is so neat.

We had an awesome Memorial Day so glad we could hangout. I love the new tradition of spending it together. We need to get plannin next years, hopefully the weather cooperates then, hehe!

Heather Jones said...

Wow so neat your father's grave. I am glad you guys had something fun to do over probably a hard holiday this year! We were sad we missed out we will have to go race again it looks so fun. I love all the cute pictures!

Joey and Nettifer said...

oh my heck I love the head stone. So neat! Who designed it? Talk about getting everything he loves into one thing and I love your name on the back! beautiful!
Glad we got to hang out! Good times for sure and lots of laughs! Loved playing games!