Thursday, June 16, 2011

Summer is Finally Here.....Swim Lessons are Over!

It's really been a fun summer so far!  We've gone to Price a few times and Lydia has turned into my little work partner.  She always wants to go to Price with me when I tell her I'm going to clean Grandpa Brent's house.  She is always so good that we take a break at the Castle Park (that's Lydia's name for it) every day we're there!  It's actually right next door to the cemetery where my dad is so we go to the park and also stop by my dads grave.
I took these pics with my phone so they're not that great but isn't it just the cutest?  I love how the slide is the dinosaurs tail!

We had our first official BBQ of "Summer 2011" last Monday night.  We had some friends over for FHE, ate yummy food, chatted and played some really fun games!  Thanks guys for coming over!  Too bad I didn't take one picture, darn it!  It was tons of fun though and it makes me excited for all the other bbq's we'll be having this summer!!
Well, Lydia's swim lessons have come to an end!  I can't believe how amazing Lydia did!  There were eight lessons and on lesson #5 she jumped off the diving board all by herself.  I was in shock.  She had told me earlier that day she wanted to jump but I knew when it came down to it, she wouldn't do it!  Well, I guess I don't know my own child and totally underestimated her courage because as I was peeking through the fence, she jumped off with no problems!  I was so proud of her!  I can't believe all that she has accomplished in these 8 lessons.  Since I was outside the gates, I didn't get a picture!
The last day they let you come in and observe what they've learned.  I couldn't believe how awesome she was doing and how far she has come in just eight short lessons so I think I went overboard on pictures!

The start off going under the water which she is still shy about doing as you can see in the above picture.  Then they do some splashing.
 Daddy got to come so Lydia was excited about that!
 Lydia would NEVER put her face in the water before these lessons.  She was just too scared but on day one she did it!  Her teachers were awesome!  Here she is swimming across the pool with help.
 The beginnings of learning how to float.
 By the end, the teacher said she was doing it all by herself!
To teach them how to swim on their backs they do this really cute "monkey, airplane, soldier technique" that was really neat.  This is her airplane.
 This is her soldier.  When you do those three motions fast, it makes your arms move in a circle which is how you swim.  Pretty cool if you ask me!
 They even started to learn to dive in the water.....with assistance of course.  But Lydia did it, no problem.
Then it was time for the diving board.  The first time she did it she got water all up in her nose and mouth so she's been hesitant ever since so now she wont go off unless the teacher helps her!  Oh well. At least she still did it!
 I love how she spreads all of her extremities when she gets scared!

She LOVES jumping in the water now.  In fact, after her last lesson we went to the store to buy a pool for the backyard and I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of time at the rec center this summer!
Awesome job Lyd's.  We're so proud of you!

2 comments:

Draper's said...

Lyds way to go!! Soooo brave to jump off the diving board. What a cute little swimmer!! I love the Castle park!

Joey and Nettifer said...

I love that dino slide. We will have to check that park out when we go to our cabin in Price. This is so cool and the castle. No wonder Lyd's wants to go
Way to go Lyd's on swimming! Glad you guys like swim lessons. We really like them