Saturday, July 04, 2009

Old Friends, Camping and Fireworks!

What a fun week we've had. Last Monday I found out that my old friend from Kansas was in town so we went to Thanksgiving Point together to catch up. It was so much fun seeing Sarah and Becky and their kids again. I forgot how crazy silly Sarah is. It was really great seeing them again. And we had a good time at the Farm. And for lunch we went across the street to this gorgeous garden to eat. It was free to eat in there. I've been to TP a million times and didn't even know this garden existed. I'm so glad we got together. Never a dull moment with the Reynolds' gals...

So happy on the pony, waving at mama...

On Tuesday, Jake, Lyd's, Larry and I headed out on our first camping trip of the year. Can I just say how much I LOVE camping. So much fun. So we headed up into the Uinta Mountains and found ourselves a campground called "Soapstone". We pretty much had the whole campground to ourselves. We had a cute little stream behind our campsite so of course Lydia had to find rocks to throw in for 15 minutes (this is her favorite past time and she shares it with her Grandpa Johnsen :)

Lydia is the clumsiest person I know. Within the first 10 minutes of being there she had already fallen 8 times, no exaggeration. Luckily she doesn't cry every time but still that can be a bad combo when fire is involved. Poor Lyd's...shouldn't she be over the uncoordinated stage by now?!
We rented a pop up trailer this time around and it was pretty enjoyable...especially since it poured on Wednesday night so we went in the camper, sat at our table and played games til the rain stopped. We went on a lot of walks around the whole campground and Lydia couldn't get enough of trying to find all the Peachunks she could (when my dad was little he called chipmunks "peachunks" and I've tried to carry on that adorable tradition with Lydia and she latched onto that name and I LOVE it). We saw a couple peachunks and we also saw a few moose tracks.

Here's the inside of our cozy little pop up... On Wednesday went went for a drive and found the Provo River Falls. They were gorgeous. Lydia wanted to see a waterfall on this trip...she got her wish. These pics of course don't do justice to the gorgeous-ness (is that a word) of Mother nature.

Then we got in the car and kept driving til we found Mirror Lake...beautiful. We went for a little hike on the trail around the lake and course Lydia had to take the time to throw her rocks in the water. Such gorgeous views on this trail. I forgot how breathtaking Utah's mountains are...


I love tiny, dirty feet. Call me crazy but I think it's so cute. On the rainy evening while playing games in the trailer, Lydia fell asleep and I had to get a pic of those cute little toes. We had a great time camping and can't wait to get back out there.

For the past 6 years Jake and I have always celebrated the 4th of July on the 3rd by going to the Eaglewood golf course for the North Salt Lake City fireworks and they are awesome.

I made my first bow for Lydia. I found the easiest pattern possible because I suck at making things but you would have thought I bought Lydia a pony, she was so excited to have a flowy bow in her hair. She was so excited that when she came down the stairs she said, "Look Larry, do you like it? Pretty huh?" So cute. Once again, Lydia was scared of the fireworks. She covered her eyes the whole time while trying to convince herself that she was having a good time, just like last year. So funny. We'll try again next year...
For the 4th of July we went to Rod and Sue's for a bbq with the fam and that's always a good time. Lydia was given the cutest shirt to wear...I just think it's adorable and she just loved showing it off. Thanks Auntie, you're the best :)

Lyd's with her bbf Lizzy...Best friends for life...

Running update: Jake's doing awesome, Bird's doing great and Lynette is doing fantastic. Me on the other hand, I'm doing horribly. I have Patellar Tendinitis (Runner's knee). It sucks. I ran 7 miles yesterday and my heart felt so great that I could have ran forever but my knees just wouldn't let me. So I'm taking a 2 week break and hopefully that's enough time to rest my knees (the only cure besides Physical Therapy...no thanks).
But Jake ran 10 miles today and feels great. You have to check out his blog, here, because it's hilarious. Support him while laughing your butt off. He's such a great writer and says the funniest things. Anyway, that's all I have for now. Enjoy the rest of your 4th of July weekend :)

4 comments:

Margo said...

Those mountains are breath taking. Camping is so much fun! Looks like you guys had a blast. Love your pop up trailer what a great idea!! I loooove Lydia's tiny dirty feet too I think it's the cutest. I wanted to go see the fireworks but we were soo tired from a long day at Lagoon. Sorry for your knee hope you will be yourself in 2 weeks too I know how much running means to you. Glad Lynette is still going strong. Have a wonderful 4th of July weekend celebration.

Clark Family said...

Love the pictures - "Miss Photographer Talent". That should be the category you win in a talent contest, along with Miss Best Dancer, Singer, Flute Player, Runner and Kindest Person I Know. Wow, you have got a lot going on. Ok, I am straying here from my comment. Sounds like a fun camping trip - next year we will join you (if we are invited again). Love the pic of the BFFs...super cute!!

Bel said...

You guys had a very busy and awesome weekend. That camping trip looks like so much fun, I love the camper that's the way to do it, hehe! Beautiful pictures of the lake, loved them.

Poor Lydia she was scared of the fireworks her cute little face in the picture :( Bri looked like that last year but finally liked them this year. Oh well it doesn't matter she looked so cute with that outfit and that cute bow you made her ADORABLE, way to go mom!

Joey and Nettifer said...

ok really you aren't going to run? I totally support you! I will think of you while I am dying out there :) I will miss you!

Looking at your camping picutres makes me want to go camping. You guys had a blast! How fun to have a stream right behind the camper! Love it!

FUn seeing you guys on July 3rd - so cute that Lyd's is so afraid of the fireworks - at least she is peeking!

I would agree that shirt is adorable on her!

Way to go on the bow!