We've had a lot of heart to hearts since then and we've really gotten to know one another again and it was nice to have my father back in my life! At the time, 2 1/2 years ago, I thought it was nice having my father around again and it was great that would get to know my children. I thought it was just that simple. But knowing what I know now, I see that the Lord knows all things and that God's plan is perfect. I was put in my father's life 2 1/2 years ago, not just to reconnect with him, but to be able to comfort him and be there for him when he needed me most; during the biggest fight of his life as he battled tongue cancer.
In April of 2008, he met one of his grandchildren for the first time. This is my dad, Brent Frandsen with my little girl when she was 18 months old.
We had five good months together before he was diagnosed. Five months with no talk of cancer! It was great; great to just talk; great to hang out with no worries of death or painful tumors. Then is September of 2008, my dad got the news that changed his life; he was diagnosed with tongue cancer. He endured a painful 15 hour surgery where they cut his jaw in half then cut out almost half of his tongue and made a new one constructed of tissues from his arm. It took a lot of work to relearn how to talk and eat again. But he did! My dad has always been a physically strong man and this event was no exception. For 13 months he was cancer free.My dad has struggled his whole life with his activity in the church. But when he reconnected with me, he spoke of how he wanted to get his life together and get back into the church. He also wanted to reconnect with his seven children. In June 2009, after 18 years of inactivity, I had the amazing experience of going through the temple with my father. It felt so good to be by his side and to know that I was able to be the example to my father. Being in the Celestial room with him was a feeling that I will never forget. I was so proud of my father that day!!!
One on the worst times in his life was also the best. Before his second surgery, for the first time ever, all seven of his kids were together in one room all in support of our father and the surgery he was about to undergo! It was a fun night of talking, laughing and getting to know one another! What a joyous occasion amidst such sadness. Yet again, he endured another 14+ surgery and came out the other end alive. We were all there in support of dad and I knew that he felt our love!
This recovery was a million times worse than his previous one. He was a patient at Huntsman for a few months then admitted to a care center for a few months after that. He was declared in remission for only a month or so before we got the worst news ever last week...his cancer was back for the third time and there was nothing further the doctors could do to save him. He was only given a few weeks to a few months to live.
I drove down to Price, UT to be with him for a couple days and I have to say I am deeply saddened by this whole thing. I know that our Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us and I know that my father's mission here on earth may be coming to an end very soon. But these past few years, I couldn't be more proud of the man and the father that he has become.
Here he is with his newest little grand baby, Nathaniel!
"I feel I only have a couple months left. I just wish I had more time with my children and grandchildren!"
It was so strange holding my newborn baby in one arm and comforting my father in the other. Total opposite ends of the spectrum; the beginning and the end. He was just diagnosed with pneumonia but after seeing him on this visit earlier this week, I truly think he's going to pull through this. He is such a strong man and such a fighter. He never ceases to amaze me in his battle against this cancer. Anything is possible!
Here's dad and Lydia laughing together over a singing monkey. It was so precious to watch. What an amazing grandfather my dad has turned out to be! Since I was little I remember him always swinging his finger back and forth when he heard music or sang a song. He's still doing it as you can see in the picture!
My dad always did say that he would rather have a good quality of life versus a good quantity of life. If the Lord sees fit to have his journey end on this earth then I will accept it and take comfort in knowing that the Lord has a plan for each of us and I know I can be with my father on the other side for all eternity!
Here's dad giving loves to Lydia.
You are a good father, a good person.
You are a wonderful grandfather.
You have seven children who love and care for you.
I couldn't be more proud of you than I am right now.
I'm proud of your decision to come back into the church.
I'm proud of you for becoming
the type of father I've always wanted.
You amaze me every day with your strength and determination to beat this cancer.
Be proud of the man that you have become.
Be proud of the man that you have become.
Be proud of what you've accomplished
these past three years.
What an example you are to me of how
it's never to late to change;
never too late to change who you are
and what you want to become.
It's never too late to change your life for the better
no matter what your age,
no matter what has happened in your past.
I'm glad we've had these past three years together
to learn to love one another again, to enjoy eachother's company
and to gain the relationship that I've always wanted to have with you!
I love you dad! Always have, Always will!
Love Always and Forever,
Your daughter,
Erin
12 comments:
I love you Erin!
Wow, that was sooo sweet, what a wonderful family, thats so precious, god bless you all, prayers are for you all. love aunt sharon
Now that I am totally crying! What a wonderful post/letter to your dad! So glad you got to know him better! Love you so much & I will be there for you if you need anything!
That was an amazing and very touching post about your dad. I am so glad you are back into each other's lives!!
Okay, now Im bawling. You are incredible! I am so amazed at you guys and your ability to forgive and heal. Your dad has been so blessed to have you by his side through his toughest battles and as I have found it is through our toughest challenges that we are able to truly know the Lord in a way we never could otherwise. Thank you for your example. We love you guys! Please let me know if there is anything you need.
Wow what a trial! Wish you and your family many, many blessings! You are so strong!
Well thanks a lot, Erin! As if I wasn't already a puddle of tears this morning (today would be my brother's 28th birthday and it's all I can think about) I open your blog and read this. Ugh. Such pain, but such an incredible jounrey y'all have been on together. The Lord ia awesome and He really does see everything from beginning to end, but for once wouldn't it be nice to have a bird's eye view and see the whole plan for yourself? It would make life so much more bearable at times. Thanks for posting this. You are such an amazing woman and I am so glad to call you my friend!
What a beautiful tribute to your dad. Those pictures are such treasures. What a blessing that you have reconnected!
erin, i am SO sorry. what a sweet post for your dad. i totally lost it when i saw the picture of your dad hugging lydia, so sweet. if you need anything let me know.
Well, now that you have made us all cry from your amazing strenghth and post. What a sweet letter to your dad He is so lucky to have such a great daughter. Why is it that sometimes the hardest trials are what bring us closest the the lord? You are so strong or at least sound like it but, if you need anything let me know k.
Thank you so much for your strength and faith. You are such an amazing woman that I am so happy to call my friend. What a beautiful post. Your Dad is truly an Amazing Man with lots of faith and courage. You are continually in my prayers, I love you...
What an amazing story and I am so glad you shared it. I wish you and your family the best. May God bless all of you through this heartbreaking time.
Post a Comment