Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Social Skillz

Lydia is definitely getting to the age where she needs to socialize more. She gets so bored at home with me that I can just see her eyes telling me to get her out of the house. So this is my goal, to get Lydia into as many activities as possible this year so she doesn't become the social outcast (although, how could that be possible with a daddy like Jake)!
On Tuesday I took Lydia to her very first dance class and her friends Izee, Millie and Grace were happy to come along. We went to the new Dancin' It Up studio on Redwood Rd that I've heard so much about. They let you do one free trial class to see if it's something your child would be interested in and to see what that class is all about. Well, let me tell you, Lydia had the BEST time. She loved it. She participated, danced, jumped around and sang. It was great. Her favorite part was staring at herself in the wall of mirrors as she ran back and forth, back and forth. She didn't take her eyes off of herself as she ran, it was so cute. I was very impressed with Lydia. She definitely exceeded my expectations. She's usually the VERY shy one.
Earlier this year I got together with my friends' Jules and Aimee to discuss starting a Joy School for our kids. Us moms finally got our act together and had our first class today! Our curriculum is the alphabet and each week, for those of you that don't know what it is, a mom will take a turn teaching the children a letter of the alphabet, have song time, do a craft, basically have a mini school in our home. The biggest positive for me is the chance Lydia gets to be around other kids, hence the developing of the social skills. Aimee taught the first class today and said it went perfectly. They played perfectly together, listened and were overall good kids so I am so excited. Let the socializing begin :)
P.S. An even better plus to this is that the past 2 days Lydia has taken great naps. She just had too much energy to take naps before and now all of this socializing about is taking the energy right out of her!

4 comments:

Melissa Morgan said...

I did JOY school with Whitney and loved it. It is great and the best part its FREE:)

melynda said...

thats awesome she like the dance class, like mother like daughter!! have you been going to the gym? not me, too lazy!!

Joey and Nettifer said...

how adorable in dance! Love that she likes to stare at herself!
Glad she is taking naps for you!
Don't you just love joy school. Sorry I am a slacker on getting you the info - my life has been CRAZY! I just want it to slow down! I promise I will get it to you this week!

Margo said...

Yea for dance class. Hinarei loves her class too and can't wait to go there every week. It sounds like she is going to Loooove dancing. Love Joyschool and glad you are doing it too. Seriously our kids are just having the best time of their lives.