Sunday, January 25, 2009

Draper Temple Open House...

Last Tuesday night we went with a few friends to the open house of the new Draper Temple. It was absolutely gorgeous and I'm so glad we went. I was also glad that the little kiddos got to come as well. Even though they don't always act like it sometimes, I know that they can feel that same spirit that we feel being in such a holy place. And I know that that feeling will continue to build as they get older and grow in the gospel. It's just up to us as parents to keep those experiences coming and give them those opportunities to continue to grow spritually.
Here's Madelyn and Lydia loving on each other at the church building after we walked through.
I'm so grateful for temples and the knowledge that I have of eternal families and I know that temple work plays such a huge part in that. Thank you so much Lynette for getting the tickets :) Yesterday we were lucky enough to have my dad come up from Price to visit us for a day and a half. He had a post op appointment at Hunstman so he thought he'd make his rounds visiting a couple of his grandchildren while he was in town.
Lydia was VERY shy this time. When Lydia met my dad for the first time a few months ago, he had a beard but due to his radiation treatments, he can no longer grow facial hair. On top of that, since we saw him last, he has lost about another 40 pounds (also due to radiation). So, needless to say, Lydia was confused at who this new man was. She finally warmed up to him a bit this morning just in time to give him some loves before he left for Price! Thanks dad for the visit. Side note: I just want to remember in this moment how proud I am of my dad. He has had to endure 2 different types of cancers over the past few years and he has been so brave and so strong throughout the whole thing. He continues to amaze me with his positive attitude and his calmness about the whole situation. He has come to a few realizations (having had time to reflect and all...coming close to death can do that to a person I guess) and sees that a few things need to change in his life and I'm grateful that he still has time left on this earth to put those changes into effect! We love you tons dad and can't wait to see you again!

On a final note, I have to mention Lydia's progress in nursery. In junior nursery last year, she had a pretty hard time. She cried FOREVER and Jake had to stay in there with her many a time! But moving up to senior nursery (yes, there are that many kids in our ward that we need more than one) has been a breeze. I thought it would be a tough transition into a new classroom with new teachers...but she LOVES it. I took her in there today and she ran in and never looked back. She left me in the dust. She doesn't need her mama anymore and that makes me so sad. But at the same time, I'm happy that she's finding her independence and coming out of her shell a bit! Good job Lyd's. We love you!

4 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

So glad you guys could come with us to the temple. I am with you. Give the kids all the opportunties you can so they can feel the spirit!

Glad you got to see your dad - he does look pretty different now - but so glad he is doing good.

A and L Stapley said...

Uncle Brent looks like he is doing so good. When we saw him a month ago when we were in Price he seemed like a new man, even through all his struggles he seems to be at peace. I hope he continues to recover well. And thanks for letting me know about you guys not being able to make it for the luncheon... you will be missed, but I understand.

Nathan and Dianna Wiley said...

I got tears in my eyes when I saw that pic of your dad and Lydia.. He looks so much like Grandpa in that picture! Let's plan a trip to Price together soon, call me!! Love you guys!

Jessica said...

Wow, I just got to see an outside picture of the Draper Temple. It is Beautiful to say the least. Cassidy just asked me about the Kansas City Temple this morning. she asked me when we were going to be able to go to the temple. It was nice to be able to tell her, soon! I can't wait for a temple to be here in the KC area! What a great experience you got to have. Thanks for sharing it, it gets me all excited for what is to come here!!!