Monday, January 31, 2011

Hi, my name is Erin and I'm a Vegan...for now!


Since I was a young teenager I've been semi haunted with the idea of someday being medicated for life due to my high cholesterol. I mean, It's all genetic right? It's not MY fault I've had high Cholesterol since I was 14. In my youth I was very active and my mom made healthy meals. As an adult, I've continued to do so by making healthy meals, having one treat a week and lots of exercise. I'm also at my healthy weight. I know that it is part genetics, but you can't blame it all on that. You have to take responsibility and control at some point.

But on the other hand, nothing I did lowered my cholesterol. In fact, it raised it! That's it! I came to the realization that my cholesterol will keep rising. Did you know that over 100 million Americans have high cholesterol? And also, if you didn't know, high cholesterol leads to major heart disease, such as stroke and heart attack! I don't want to be part of that statistic!
Thank goodness for my Aunt Linda and the conversation we had on one of my visits to Price last year! She said that my Uncle Brent read this book called

"The China Study"
which talks about health and the horrible shape we, as Americans, are in. It talks about how we intake too much animal based foods, which are the highest in fat and cholesterol. My Uncle Brent followed this diet of no animal based foods (no eggs, butter, cheese, milk and all meats) for six months and he lowered his cholesterol by like almost 100 points.

So this is what I've also decided to do! I bought the book, read it and became a Vegan and will be for six months to see if it helps lower my cholesterol.

Well, so far, I've been doing this diet for one month and it's actually been great! I've actually grown to love fruits and veggies again and I've found some vegan meals that are so delicious! I made a vegan pizza with pizza sauce I made from Scratch! I think that pizza was one of the best pizzas I've ever eaten. I made homemade dough too but let Jake handle the fancy part (going back his old Litza's Pizza days)!
The cherry on top is that I've lost 8 pounds since I started a month ago and I just FEEL great!

I've had a couple people ask me if I'm taking supplements since I can't eat meat! That's the misconception about vegetarians. There are SOOO many plant based proteins out there, it's ridiculous! You don't need meat and animal based foods to get your protein and be well balanced! As a matter of fact, because of all the fruit and veggies I'm eating, I'm more balanced than I've ever been.

MY GOAL
I'm not planning on being a Vegan for the rest of my life. I just love burgers, milk, butter and cheese too much. BUT...if this diet does work and my cholesterol lowers (finally!!!), I'm not going to let the past six months be in vein.

My new life will be eating animal based foods VERY SPARINGLY and stick with more whole foods, plant based diet from now on. If you know me, you know that I love being healthy so this high cholesterol thing has been KILLING me!!

I'm doing this for me and I'm doing this for them:
(and my wonderful husband as well..of course)! I don't want this looming over me anymore. I'm taking control of my life. Yes, I love a good burger, but I love myself and my family a whole heck of a lot more and I have way more respect for my life and my body than to just sit back and slowly kill myself with the #1 cause of death in America: Heart Disease!!

Some people can be happy eating whatever the heck they want and then in the next breath pop 5 pills to keep them from dying earlier than they should, but I can't! I refuse to take a pill for good health!

I'm very proud of the decision I've made and I hope that the choice to take control of my health will make all the difference for me and my family...lead by example right?!!

MY CURRENT CHOLESTEROL: 223 (normal is now 150 or lower)
I'll post in the beginning of July my new cholesterol!

One month down, five to go!!

10 comments:

Aimee said...

Way to go - I could never do such a thing - I would starve to death and that would kill me! You are right up there with some of Jared's co-workers. Just please don't start doing coffee enemas!

Bel said...

Way to go on your will power, you are awesome. I could never be so disciplined. Can't wait to see what your cholesterol is in 5 months and congrats on losing 8 lbs in 1 month, that is SUPER!! You are doing awesome :)

alisquire said...

Good for you! Too many people don't care enough about their health, which is crazy! You are amazing!

Delibette said...

Good for you! I going to tell Camron about this. It may help him to be motivated. He needs to lose some weight and get in control of his health too. Good Luck! Btw, would you post some of your favorite veggies recipe :)

Heather Jones said...

You are soo much stronger then I could or want to be. My parents have done this diet for a while now. They started for the same reason my dads cholesterol is too high. They have actually loved it and have new fun idea's of what to eat. I wish I could give up my sugar and work out! Good luck love jake and the pizza!!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Your self discipline is amazing! Seriously amazing! Good for you!
Way to go on loosing the 8lbs too! You are almost 1/2 way there for your goal! Good job!
Jake looks awesome throwing that pizza into the air!

A and L Stapley said...

Yay!! Good for you... I'm glad my dad's story inspired you! It has me too, but I have yet to just do it cold turkey... it is good though to be more aware of the animal based products and what they do to your body. Good luck the next 5 months!

Margo said...

Wow you are such an amazing woman but you are right when it comes to your health you just got to do it!! Way to go on losing 8lbs you are the best!! I am cheering you on!! I need to follow your example!! Jake worked at litza's pizza? So did Wayne before going on his mission. How funny!

foxie4 said...

Good for you Erin your cute kids and Jake are worth being healthy for!! We can still have fun eating out!! Can't wait till next time!!

The Johnson Family said...

You are inspiring! I am so excited to hear the update to this in July. I'm so glad to hear that the new eating habits have come easy to you.