Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Price Trip

I was able to take the kids and go back down to Price to visit my dad. Its been five weeks since I've seen him and wow, I can't believe the change I've seen in him. Hospus has come in to help take care of him to make things easier on him and on my grandparents.

It's really hard to sit and watch cancer take my father's life so I have to sit and think about Heavenly Father's plan for us and remember that families are eternal. I also don't want to see my dad suffer anymore so I hope that He can ease his pain in one way or another. My father has battled tongue cancer for over two years and I can't begin to imagine his pain. But I love his strength and even though his trials have been so great, he has ALWAYS had a positive attitude. Throughout this whole experience, my dad hasn't complained once. What an example of strength and faith he is to me.

My Grandfather and Grandmother had a wonderful time playing with Nate and Lydia! Nate seriously smiled and talked the WHOLE time and Gma ate it up!!! Here they are playing with Grandpa!
One thing I realized more than ever on this trip was how great the love is between a mother and father to their children. My grandmother is 85 and my grandfather will be 90 next year and to see the dedication and love that they have for their son is absolutely amazing! The lengths a parent will go to to bring comfort and care to their child is immeasurable.

I went to bed about 10pm that night and as I walked by dad's recliner, I saw my 89 yr old grandfather sleeping on the couch next to him. They never leave his side and haven't for months; always their taking care of his every need. They are up all hours of the night taking care of him, giving him his pain meds and filling his water and feeding bags. The saying "I would die for my children" was brought to a whole new light for me. It's true, I would do ANYTHING for my kids and I know that now more than ever as I watch a husband and wife care for their son as he continues to the end of his journey in this earthly life.

I know that my grandparents mission in this life was to care for each of their three sick sons. Even though they are in their 80's, I know without a doubt that the Lord has sustained them, giving them the knowledge of the Gospel for comfort. He has also given them an enormous amount of Strength, Faith and Love so they would be strong enough to be able to endure the pain of losing children before their own time.

I love you Grandma and Grandpa! You amaze me!

5 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

Your grandparents are amazing! What a good example to your family! Erin & I am so sorry! We need to talk! I love you!

Jessica said...

I don't know exactly what you are feeling, but I have been there. We will keep you and your whole family in our prayers! Here is a BIG HUG all the way fromm Kansas, hang in there. And if you need an ear, I'm here. Thanks for all of your wonderful posts!

Bel said...

Okay so you write so beautifully you made me cry. What a beautiful post of love and faith :) I am glad you got a chance to go and visit with your dad and the kids got to come with you. Your grandparents are so sweet and yes it gives you a whole new perspective to the love of a parent. I cannot say it enough you are a woman of faith and your dad is super blessed to have you for a daughter. I am so glad we are friends and can't wait to see you when I get back. I am here for you, even if I am one state away :) Love ya!!

Emilee said...

Erin, I am so sad about your dad. I am glad that you got to go see him. I cant imagine what you are going through. Please know that we are thinking of you guys and prayin for you.

Delibette said...

Erin, you are a beautiful woman and your words are extremely beautiful. You really know how to touch everyone ♥. I'm glad that you got to see him. I'm sorry for his suffering and Yes your grandparents are amazing. What a beautiful example of Love you have. Thanks for all your wonderful posts. You are amazing too.