Saturday, June 19, 2010

Nathaniel's Birth Story!

Little Nathaniel took his sweet time coming into this world. Jake and I got the call on Monday afternoon that we should be at IMC at 5am on Tuesday the 15th of June so we could get started with my induction. After only a few hours of sleep, we headed to the hospital and by 6am, we were started on the pitocin. I was dilated to a 3 and not effaced at all.

At 11am they checked me again and I was dilated to a 4, 0% effaced. Right at 11am, I started feeling the contractions and they occurred every 3-5 minutes. They were a bit intense but I had a goal of being dilated to a 6 before I received my epidural so I just breathed through the pain. I had this same goal with Lydia and I thought it worked out nicely!

From 11am to 3pm I went from a 4 to a 6. Are you kidding me? Well, at least I could get my epidural now. The contractions were pretty bad at this point and I give props to any woman who opts not to get an epidural. You are my hero!!!

3:30pm- I get my epidural and I'm feeling good. The only problem is that my contractions keep weakening and you can only up the pitocin so much and so many times. The nurse scared me a bit with the sentence she muttered, "If you don't continue to progress we may have to do a c-section due to Failure to Dilate". I had been stuck at a 6 for a while.

At 5pm Dr. Brown came in to check me and thank goodness I was at an 8 and almost fully effaced, so no c-section although she was still worried about the shoulders making it out ok since the US's all showed how big he was. Dr. Brown said within the hour we should have our little boy. And what do you know...she was right. I felt TONS of pressure just before 6pm so the nurse asked me to give a tiny push, then she said "stop, I'm going to call the dr". So 30 seconds later, Dr. Brown was there and I gave one good push on contraction #1 and the head was out, then on contraction #2 I gave one more push and there he was, at 6:04pm our little baby Nate entered the world!! 13 hours after it started, it was finally over.
It was such a long day. 13 hours of sitting around for two good pushes at the end. That little boy didn't want to come out, but when he was finally ready, he came out fast!

Here's our cute, little family now with our newest edition!
Lydia was so cute meeting him for the first time. She loved him and just wanted to hold him and be right there with him every second she was there. The only problem was that she now hated me. She was so mean to me it was so sad. She could already sense that my attention had to be divided! Since we didn't get to our room until after 7:30pm, it was too late for Lydia to meet Nathaniel, so she came and spent the whole day with us on Wednesday.


Because of his huge size, they had to do blood sugar tests to make sure he was getting enough food and of course he wasn't so they supplemented one night which is fine with me. It gave me more sleep. I love my hospital stays; everything about them :) And every RN and CNA I had, I loved. It was a wonderful experience and we're so glad to have Baby Nate with us. I'm glad we're all ok and that we finally have Nate with us! He's been such a good boy so far. He hasn't slept well at night yet due to my milk not coming in. I think he's just starving which makes me so sad!
Larry wasn't too crazy when we brought him in so hopefully the adjustment/transition will be smooth for everyone. It's been a crazy couple of days, but I know we'll learn in time how to deal with two kids :)
Here he is going on his first car ride...home from the hospital of course!
My milk still hasn't come in so I decided to supplement one feeding and Lydia couldn't wait to feed him a bottle. She felt so special! She's still acting out on Day 2 of being home but hopefully that will end within the next couple of weeks! She's just very needy and wants her way with EVERYTHING and of course we're not giving it to her so that's causing problems.
And on a side note: I took a picture of Nate and it reminded me of a picture of when Lydia was the same age. Their hair color is exactly the same, so it looks like we're going to have another Blondie in the family!!! It's funny how genes work. I think they look so similar in so many ways!
Here's Nate:
Here's Lyd's:

10 comments:

Nicole said...

Yeah! Congratulations to everyone. He is so adorable, new babies are great. I can't believe how similar their baby pictures are, that is so cool. Sounds a lot like my story. I was in labor all day as well! Glad everything is well, good luck with the adjustment, it won't take long!

Veronica said...

So glad things went as you wanted them to! He is so precious. Can't wait to meet him!

Bel said...

So cute! I LOVE the 1st picture as a family of 4, yay!! He is just so cute, and you are totally right, he looks identical to Lyds baby picture, love it!! I will call you tomorrow and see how you are doing :)

Joey and Nettifer said...

Lyd's looks so happy holding her baby brother!
What a cute family!

Heather Jones said...

I am glad he finally got here o.k. without a c-section. I know how you feel I was worried about that also with Bray. You all look so cute together I hope Lydia is o.k. soon My boys still have hard days. Let me know if you need anything we would love to come see him when you are up to it!

Marti said...

Congrats to your beautiful family! What a handsome little man! So glad everything went well. I love the look on Lydia's face when she is with him. Welcome baby Nate!

Draper's said...

Look how cute your family is!! Baby Nate is sooo cute!! I love big babies, they are extra snuggly. You look fantastic!! I am super jealous of your delivery 2 pushes, That would be awesome!! I would love to take Lydia so you can relax with Baby Nate. Call me.

Margo said...

Wow I'm glad that everything worked out fine for both of you. Baby Nate is truly a beautiful baby. I am so happy for you guys. Love Lydia's picture with baby Nate sooooo adorable. I can't wait to meet that little guy.

Ben and Ash said...

What a chunk! I love him! Love that double double chin! I'm glad everyone is healthy and happy.

Emilee said...

He is so sweet. I am glad that everything went well with the birth and hope Lyds can adjust soon. We really want to come and see you guys soon. I cant wait to meet the little guy.