Sunday, September 27, 2009

BBQ of the Century...

Well it's official, I have turned 30 years old. I had always planned on having a big party...just not for me. Jake also turns 30 but not until October 5th. That's right, we're only 12 days apart. As most of you know, Jake loves to be the center of attention so I thought it would be perfect to throw a huge surprise party for his 30th b-day. But why should I get jipped? So I then thought hey, why not have a combined 30th b-day party and have a big bbq outside on our new deck! Here's the happy couple!!!
On Friday night we had 107 of our friends, family, and neighbors over for the bbq of the century! We invited about 150 people so we thought the turnout was great! It was a bit overwhelming hosting but so much fun to see all of the people we love all together in our backyard! Note to self: for our 40th, have someone else besides Jake and I in charge of everything. Being the host is too much work. I didn't have time to really enjoy everyone's company. Some people I just said hi too and hated that I couldn't have a full conversation. So in 10 years I'll be sure and hire someone to do the pictures, bbq, etc...so I can enjoy myself a bit more!
I did some research about 1979 and made posters of the most interesting facts.
I also hung a bunch of family pictures from the year 1979, made a timeline of mine and Jake's life and how we grew together to form our cute, little life together. Then I chose about 20 of my favorite songs from the top 100 songs of 1979 and made a cd for the guests to enjoy. They actually had some fun songs from that year (YMCA, I Willl Survive, My Sherona, MJ songs, etc...). Needless to say, I had a lot of fun planning this party.

The party and its guests...







The cake!!!
Jake and I being sung to...
Blowing out the candles...
My Aunt Susan is one of the craftiest people I know and of course she didn't disappoint. She got us these really cute witches shoes and filled them with homemade chocolate dipped pretzels. If you know the Johnsen's, you know that we LOVE Halloween and love to decorate so we always welcome cute decorations as gifts for our b-days :) It was a great party and I SOOOO appreciate all that each of you did to help. It really meant a lot. Thank you so much!!
On Saturday morning I ran a 5k with Melynda and Lynette. It was a RS stake thing and the turnout was pretty good. I haven't run for months and I still have PT in both knees and a pinched nerve in my L hamstring so needless to say, my time sucked (31 min 20 sec, my worst time yet). But us girls' made a packed to stick together so we finished as a team. It was lots of fun. Oh, how I love to run. Here we are at the end of the race.
Saturday afternoon we headed to the Utah game against L'ville. I'm not much of a sports fan but I do try and make it to at least one game a year. I enjoy the atmosphere and hanging out with all of Jake's siblings (most of them have season tix and they all sit together...lots of fun).
Lydia LOVES going. She's intimidated at first because of all the noise but she always warms up and ends up cheering and dancing on the stairs the last half of the game. It was adorable watching her.

It was a fun weekend...can't wait for the next one :)

7 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

I should say party of the year. You two are very loved and have lots of friends. Glad I am considered a friend of yours! The party was awesome. I felt like we didn't get to visit at all! Thank goodness we talk all the time :)
Loved the run Saturday morning. Miss those Saturday runs with you! We will get your knees better! Glad you ran and finished. That should tell you something about your strong will!

Go Utes baby!

Bel said...

Wow you guys do know how to through a party, 107 guests!! Holy molly that's a lot of people, hehe! Sorry we were not able to make it, it ended up being a crazy weekend, we wish we could have been there it looks like it was a lot of fun :( Way to go on running, you guys are my inspiration I need to get my butt off the couch and get moving.

Ryan and Melissa said...

The party looked like so much fun! I can't imagine having that many people over at my house. What support though!!! Wish we would have been able to be there.

Heather Jones said...

You guys did a great job!! Everything was so cute and the food was yummy! Thanks for the invite and hope you both have great B-days! Way to go on the run! You guys look so cute.

Rivers and Monica said...

Happy Birthday to both of you!!! We were really bummed that we couldn't come, I actually think Rivers was more disappointed than me (he is always up for a good BBQ), but it was his Grama and Grampa's 50th wedding anniversary down in Hurricane so we were gone that weekend. It looked like a ton of fun and I can't believe how much work you must have put into it. Well happy birthday, we love you guys.

TeamTyson said...

Thanks for the invite! It was fun to see you. Hope your knees get feeling better there is nothing worse than running in pain. I am curious about the ST. George and Jake with his foot injury. Did he make it? Randon and I just signed up for the Ogden Marathon!!

Margo said...

Thanks for the invite! This was definitely the Birthday of the Century. You guys know how to host people. I LOOOOOOVE your backyard so big and long. Love it! Happy Birthday again to the both of you!!