Tuesday, October 06, 2009

St. George Marathon!!!

Last weekend we headed down to St. George for the marathon that Jake has spent the last 3 years trying to get into! The time had finally come for Jake to attempt the 26.2 mile run. Bird and Jake spent the night at the Motel 6 to get some uninterruped sleep before the big day! They woke up bright at early and froze for a few hours in the mountains before the gun went off!

With about 3 miles left I ran the rest of the way with Bird. I was so proud of him and this accomplishment. Running with all of those people made me want to run one, BUT we'll have to see if my knees can handle a long training like that. Anyway, here is Bird and I with a couple miles left.
The Clark family after Bird finished the race. Way to go Bird! You da man!
Oh Jake, where do I even begin? First of all, he forgot the most important thing that a runner needs...his shoes. He left them in Salt Lake on our bed....whoops! So that didn't get him off on the right start. That coupled with the fracture in his foot made things difficult.
He did awesome though. He started the race with his brand new pair of shoes and off he went. He made a great effort and didn't stop until 19 miles in. He had huge blisters on the bottom of his feet and an unhealed fracture and he made it 19 MILES. Crazy! Honey we are so proud of you and what you accomplished. 19 miles is the furthest he's ever run and he didn't give up until not only could he not run anymore, but when he couldn't walk anymore.
Here are the signs we made for the guys!
We spent the rest of the weekend just relaxing and we went to the park a couple times. They have this very interesting park there with some futuristic looking things. Here's Lizzy and Lyd's on one of them.

We had a great time and were glad to spend it with the Clark's. Not only are they good family to have but they are also some good buds of ours. Without sounding too corny, we love 'em and were happy to spend the weekend with 'em! St. George Marathon 2010, get ready for Jake...again :)

5 comments:

Joey and Nettifer said...

Way to go Jacob & Bird that is awesome. I love all the sweat bands Bird wears. Will you tell him that for me :)
Glad you guys had a fun weekend in the sun - off for another vacation!
Loves!

Melissa Morgan said...

Sounds like such a fun weekend! I don't know how you guys run these things....I don't even think I could run a mile:-) Good times!!

Heather Jones said...

Hey we were there too! Not running but playing!! Way to go on the marathon awesome!

Delibette said...

19 Miles! AMAZING! I can't even run 2 miles without feeling I'm having a heart attack. GOOD JOB ~ Jake! I'm a GATOR fan too! So Yay Bird! Sounds you guys had fun and it looks SO warm down there. I miss Utah! :0(

Margo said...

Go Jake!!! 19 miles that's a great Accomplishment!! YEA!! I hope to be able to do that one day!! Way to go!!