Saturday, November 21, 2009

SHE FINALLY DID IT!!!!!

After months and months of struggle, Lydia finally went "pee pee in the potty"!!! Oh my goodness, I never thought the day would happen. But, alas, today has been the day!!! Now granted, today is the first day so I know there will probably be some set backs but at least I know that it can be done. After she went once, she went two times after that within ten minutes (I think she was scared to let it all out at first). So I just said to her, "Relax and let it all out". And she did. Then 20 minutes later I had to go to the bathroom so Lydia walked into the bathroom and said, "Mama, just let it ALL out!" It was hilarious.

Lydia has been trying to potty train since about April (off and on) and she always says that she's scared of the potty so that's what's been prohibiting her from actually doing the deed. Well, today she overcame that fear and I am so proud of her. A couple of months ago I put her on the potty for 45 minutes and we sang and read books...nothing!!!! As soon as I got her off the toilet, she peed all over the floor. So frustrating and that's why we took a break.

She was running around naked today watching tv so I thought I'd put the little potty in their with her and I said go potty if you feel like you have to. About 3 hours later I saw her sitting on it off and on then suddenly she said she went. Her face looked proud so I knew something was different.

After she went for the first time today, she exclaimed, "It's not scary!!!". What a proud moment. You could just see the glow in her face and we just screamed, laughed and danced together in the living room for 5 minutes, literally. It was perfect!
Then I told her we could go get an ice cream cone and I let her choose what she wanted to wear (she had been running around the house naked for 4 hours prior to her "achievement"...oh yeah, she sure knows how to hold it, sometimes in the past she'd hold it for 6 hours, crazy!). She chose her cupcake shirt and heels, she wanted on lipstick and mascara (I obliged) then off we went to the Mav for an ice cream cone. She was thrilled.

My only question for you people out there who have potty trained a child: What now? Do I just go cold turkey and do no more diapers? Or should I have my security blanket and put her in a pull up when we're out for a long time? See, the only problem is, is that she's still scared of the big potty so she's using a little potty that we borrowed. So if we're out for a while, I know there will be an accident because she won't go on the big potty yet! Oh the joys of motherhood :)

P.S. During the writing of this post Lydia has gone two more times (yeah, she pees a lot...she's a drinker), once on the floor (whoops) and once in the potty where right after she peed she yelled,

"Hey mom, I just let it all out"!!!

Oh how I love that child!

8 comments:

Veronica said...

YAY!!! That SUCH an accomplishment for both of you! Ugh. PT is very hard. But I'm now a firm believe that it can NOT be forced. A kid flat out will not do it until they are ready. After trying to force it with two kids, I've now decided to let Lauren do it in her own time. I know she won't be starting pre school in diapers, so I'm not worried.

Okay, keep in mind that there are three kinds of potty training. There is pee pee training, poop training, and getting them to use a scray public toilet training. Don't be too frustrated if she won't poop in the potty for a while. That will come. She keep a LOT of undies on hand and be prepared to be cleaning poop out of them. Or if you are like me when I'm not feeling well, just throw them away!

As for the public toilet, they make these wonderful little seats that you can fold up in the diaper bag and take with you. It's just like those small ones that fit over a large toilet seat, but it folds. You can order one online and they are cheap. Carry that with you everywhere and it will make it less scary for her to pee in a big toilet.

If I were you, I'd stick her in undies from now on. In the car I would always put a plastic garbage bag lined in the car seat covered with a thin towel or blanket, just in case they go in the car. No need to ruin a car seat! I've just found that if you stick them back in diapers, they will back slide. And ALWAYS carry an extra set of clothes, shoes and socks. AT least for a month or two.

And stay away from Pull Ups. They are are diapers and kids will gladly pee in them. Even if you call them big girl underwear, she will still pee in it because it feels like a diaper. Except at night- I always put my kids in them at night until I am totally convinced they can hold it all night long. Hailey is almost 4 and is still in a pull up at night. Her bladder is still really small and she has accidents while sleeping sometimes.

Okay, enough of the epistle! Those are my two cents. Every mom has their own way of doing it. Good luck!

Margo said...

Yea!!! I'm so excited for Lydia!! Way to go girl!! You must be so proud of her!! I love her picture she looks sooo happy!! Now have her wear undie most of the times and always take extra clothes and undies with you just in case. It's much better to let them do on their own.

Marti said...

How exciting! Gracie just trained herself a few weeks ago and it's great. To be honest...if you can help it, I've tried to stay at home as much as possible at least until you are a good week or two into it. The first time we were out and she had to go, she asked if my friend had a Dora potty, too. Try getting the potty seats that set on top of the big one. I think it made that transition when we are out a lot easier.

How exciting for Lydia! And even more exciting for you!

Joey and Nettifer said...

Way to go Lyd's & way to go mom! It is just as a big deal for the mom and the kids! I knew she could do it!
Love the fashion sense lyd's!

Bel said...

Yay Lydia perfect job!! She was very ready and love that she was so proud of herself. I am a believer in cold turkey training but Bri never went pee during the night time ever since she was born so I didn't have to worry about that. Just be patient on having her go in a public bathroom. Bri was scared of them for a little while. Now she could care less but it takes a little bit of time :)

Aimee said...

Yeah Lydia! Oh Erin - it is going to be so nice now. (Unless she is like Brock and every time he needs to go potty he just yells it for everyone to hear - the store, church, etc.) When I potty trained Brock I just put him in underwear and always had extra clothes with me. Also, we didn't go to many public places for the first little while. I was lucky at night time - he always woke up dry in his diaper so I just put him in underwear and he never had an accident in bed. My only suggestion is to not let her drink all day long or at least stop after dinner - this may help with the night time. Now for the other fun part of potty training - the poop part! Good luck!

Delibette said...

YAY! How exciting! Woot Woot! I'm taking notes. I getting kind of nervous thinking when the time come for me to potty train my twins. How can you train two kids at the same time? - You are an awesome mom with a gorgeous little girl. High five Lyd's!

Nathan and Dianna Wiley said...

I say cold turkey for sure.. That is what we did with Emily. Pullups at night, but panties all day long. Emily trained herself within 3 days also, and was golden, except for a few accidents only because she couldn't get on the pot in time. Good Job Lydia!! How are you Erin?? I was meaning to email you to see, since it is November and all.. =) Sorry I have been bad at keeping in touch!