Monday, August 01, 2011

First Annual Frandsen Family Reunion 2011

After my dad's first surgery with cancer he started the reconnection process with his seven children.  He spoke to me and explained his great desire to take all of his children and grandchildren to his favorite place, Joe's Valley, for a family reunion.  JV is smack dab in the middle of Utah.

My dad never recovered after his second surgery, his cancer came back and he passed away so he never got that chance.  I refused to let that dream die so I got to work on organizing the First Annual Frandsen Family Reunion.  Six out of dad's seven children were able to make it out for the reunion.

Erin, Tammie, Jenny, Adam, Michele and Garry.  We missed you David!
After my parents split when I was a toddler, my brother and I flew out to Utah ever year to hang with my dad for the summer.  We'd go camping every time, mostly to Joe's Valley.  My dad loved this place.  It's absolutely gorgeous and I can see why he spent so much time there.  So it made perfect sense to have our first reunion at dad's favorite place in memory of him.  The reunion started on Thursday the 28th and ended Sunday the 31st.

This was BY FAR the scariest terrain I have ever been on.  Driving up these roads to the campsite had my stomach in knots.  We were literally driving on cliffs, driving through HUGE mud holes and our tires were trying their hardest to drive over mini boulders that were constantly in our path.

It was so rocky that one of the propane tanks fell off of our trailer and was bouncing like a buoy on the rocks.  That thing could have sparked and exploded at any time but it didn't.  The Lord was truly watching over us on our trip up!

I should have taken a picture but of course right in front of our campsite were smooth, calm roads.  Thank goodness the entire drive wasn't scary.
I was lucky enough to get dad's trailer.  It's a '78 Skyline Nomad and my dad spent over 15 years making memories in the mountains with this trailer.  I love that I have it now and I love that we were able to bring it on this special trip.  I'm such a softie....just like my dad :)  The pine trees shaded it all day.  The literal perfect place to camp.

The weather this trip was perfect.  Overcast most of the time but when it was sunny, we were so shaded by trees that it was never hot.  It only rained once for about 15 minutes.  I've always loved the perfect weather this place has!


 
 Jake collecting firewood.

We camped in one of the areas that dad used to camp at, right next to the river, surrounded by beauty.  This is REAL camping.  No port a potties and no paying for your own little spot next to hundreds of other campers.  This was the real deal camping in the middle of nowhere, spending four glorious days surrounded by all that mother nature had to offer.  We didn't get the water tank filled so unfortunately, we just used the camper to sleep in :0)

My Uncle Brent is a genius.  He practically makes everything he owns because nothing out there to buy is ever as good as he wants it.  He made this awesome canopy for all of the tables and stoves to go under.  One canopy, three campers and four tents later, we were all set up.

All of the cousins had such a fun time together.  Lydia met most of them for the first time on this trip.  Here are a few of them.  Brianna, Daryen, Lydia, Destiny and Shaunte'.  Three of her cousins there were only a few months apart in age from her so it was a TON of fun for her for sure!!!


My uncle Brent also made his own shower.  He bought a bunch of different pieces of things, put them together and wah lah, an instant hot shower.  He has a tube that sucks water from the river then that water goes through a couple of filters, hits the propane tank which makes the water hot instantly then goes through a normal shower head.  Amazing!!!  What can't this man do?!

 We woke up Friday morning for a yummy breakfast.  The twins and Lydia started off with donut appetizers.
 My cousin Monica and SIL Robyn making some eggs and sausage.

This trip would not have been as awesome as it was without my Aunt Linda and Uncle Brent.  Linda is my dad's little sister.  Aunt Linda helped me so much in preparing for this trip and I'm so grateful they were able to make it.  I love them so much.

We camped literally right next to the river!  It was just like the old days as a child.  We all felt dad's spirit this weekend.
 It was great getting to know all the nieces and nephews that I had never met before.

 Throwing huge stones in the river was definitely a highlight for these kids.
 Here's my brother Garry with two of his boys Bryson and Brandon.

 A lot of four wheeling went on.  The trails were WAY too rough for scared little me so I opted not to go on any of the rides.  My Uncle Brent's family are hardcore four wheelin' people.  They go out for 3-4 hour trail rides on some really scary terrain....well, really scary to me.



 Jake went for a ride (not with Lydia, she just did an easy going short ride) and he said it was amazing.  The scenery was incredible with huge fields of flowers, wildlife, huge cliffs, etc.  Four hours later, the were back really dirty and really sore.  I forgot to give him the camera so no pics darn it.



The kids got really dirty on this trip.  I never said a word though.  This is what I did as a kid so I let Lydia do whatever she wanted.  They played a ton in the sand, making sand castles, burying one another and just using their imagination.

Lydia and Destiny connected immediately.  The met and became instant friends.  I think Des was Lydia's favorite new friend on this trip.
 Games are always a must while camping.  We learned a new game from Monica and Rivers.

 My little kiddos in the trailer.

 We went on a lot of walks.  Cute little Naters is at the bottom of the pic if you can't tell.
The last arrivals were Jenny, Adam and Kaleb on Friday night.  Lydia LOVES Kaleb.  They knew each other from before this trip and they were pretty much inseparable after he got here.








As a kid my brother and step sisters used to always use the big pine trees as houses.  We spent hours playing in them.  Lydia wasn't interested this trip but I just had to make her pose for a picture anyway.
 Adam joined his nieces and nephews for play time too!
 Then the adults got more adventurous driving in the river and over trees.  The four wheelers got pretty deep in the water at points.  Crazy kids :0)








 Larry was a hit.  The kids LOVED him and always wanted their picture taken with him.  He's so good with kids so he just sat there and let us shoot away.
 He got pretty dirty himself.

 These kids are so adorable.  I love that they are all the same age.
 Adam hardly ever smiles normal for pictures.
It was such a relaxing trip.  Minus the drive up, a bad few hours of naughty kids and one of the dogs always fighting with Larry, it was a wonderful trip.  I'm so glad we did it and made one of dad's dreams come true.

Again, here are six of dad's kids.
 Here are all of dad's grandkids that could make it this trip; 9 out of 18 I think.
 Here's the whole group that came to support and honor dad's memory.
 And of course here's a picture of my little family.
 There was a gorgeous reservoir at the base of the mountain where we camped.  We never went to it but it was nice stare at as we drove in and out of the campsite.

On our way home we stopped in Price to visit my grandparents Ada and Bert.  I don't shower or do make up on camping trips so please excuse my nastiness :0)  And Jake never usually poses normal for pictures.
I love you all.  And thanks to Tammie for sharing some of your pictures with me.  Thank you all so much for making amazing memories with us.  Dad was for sure smiling down on us all.

4 comments:

Bel said...

What a fun time! It looks like such an awesome time specially because so many family members were able to make it. I think it's such a great idea to have the 1st reunion in such an important place for your dad. You rock for putting it together. Sorry we missed it and thank you for inviting us but after you told me there are no bathrooms I don't feel so bad, hehe! Lydia had so much fun with her cousins, how sweet she got so close to them during the trip. They will have a blast next year!

Heather Jones said...

That is so great you got that many people there and Lydia had fun with cousins.How awesome to do it where ur dad wanted I bet he was smileing for sure! What a huge job planning it all but, it looks like it all worked out great and everyone had a blast. I don't think I could make it that long without a shower or bathroom u are made to camp! One night would have been good for me. It looks beautiful and I am glad there was no explosion! Love how jake is making the u sign HEHE!

Sarah said...

Okay, so I said I wasn't going to visit your blog anymore without tissues ready, but I thought no big deal this time b/c it is just looking at camping trip pics. WRONG! Totally cried again anyway. I love that you all did this for your Dad. I really wish I could have come especially just to see somewhere I spend so much time so long ago. Thanks for sharing the details with me. And Monica came? Man, I so missed out - I would have loved to catch up and visit with everyone! Anyway, I'm sure your Dad was looking down at all of you and so happy. I think about him quite often and feel sad. I am haunted by seeing him and Adam hugging when we went down to see him last October. They had the longest hug ever and then just kept going back for one more hug and your Dad was patting his back. I think they knew it was the last time they would see each other in this life and it was the saddest thing I've ever seen. Okay, I'm totally bawling again and my daughter is looking at me very concerned. Thanks for sharing, love you!

A and L Stapley said...

Oh, man... these pics made me so sad that we couldn't make it. I'm glad you all had a great time though, you will have to do it again so we can be there! Aaron never understood how I enjoyed tent camping... until he went with my dad... he just makes things so convenient! I was sure blessed to have a dad that would go the extra mile to make things a little more comfortable while 'roughing it'. And you are too sweet to tell me I look cute with my big belly and puffy eyes ;)